Thursday, October 22, 2015

A totally unecessary analysis: Runners vs. the Zombie Apocalypse

     Hey everyone.  So, as I mentioned in the first post of this blog, there will be times where my posts aren't really about anything useful or directly related to my running, but are about random thoughts I've had about running or while running.  This definitely fits the bill.
     As Halloween is around the corner, I ended up thinking about costumes and for some reason, zombies, during one of my trail runs.  In case you've been living under a rock, they're very popular right now.  (Thank you Walking Dead.)  And a random thought occurred to me.  Supposing that the zombie apocalypse actually started to take place, how would long-distance runners, particularly marathoners and ultra marathoners, fare in this environment?
     First things first - know the enemy.  The scary thing about zombies, in my opinion, isn't their speed or strength, but their sheer numbers.  It doesn't really matter how fast you are if you get cornered.
     Long-distance runners do have several advantages.  First and foremost is their ability to hold a pretty decent running pace over long distances, and in open areas, simply outrun many of the zombies.  On top of that, they may know the local geography very well (this is especially true of trail runners) and may be able to utilize the terrain to their advantage.  I also tend to think that long-distance runners, be they street or trail-oriented, generally have good situational awareness skills.  Finally, there is some evidence that suggests that exercise can help with mental conditions like PTSD, which I imagine would be common among survivors.  The biggest disadvantage I can think of is that burning so many calories when food is scarce might be an issue.  Also, as most runners prefer to run light, they probably wouldn't be used to carrying lots of supplies or weapons.
     All things considered, I think long-distance runners would do rather well.  If you agree or disagree, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment