Wednesday, October 28, 2015

I AM THE NIGHT... Runner. (And how you can be a night running bad***)

     Hey everyone.  Sorry I haven't been posting as much as I would like to be.  I've been a bit busy with training for my first ultra (sort of) and about three or four other projects.  As a result of having a ton of projects, not to mention the days getting shorter, there are a fair amount of times when I run at night.  Admittedly, I actually enjoy night running - it's a great way to clear my mind before bed, and it's fun to run a course at night that you usually see in the daylight.
     I've only been running a year and half, but I thought I would give my advice for running at night safely.  This advice is geared towards beginners who are running short solo practice runs, so if you're looking for advice on how to deal with staying up all night during a 100-mile ultra, this won't help you.  For everyone else, here are my tips on night running.
     #1 - Know the course.  Particularly if you are a beginner, you should probably not be to run in an unfamiliar area.  Also know the hazards, both traffic and (in bad neighborhoods) people.
     #2 - Master the art of seeing and being seen.  I almost put this as #1.  If you are going to run at night, YOU NEED A HEADLAMP!  Also, reflective vests or jackets should also be on your shopping list.  Whenever I go out for a night run or a run that I feel might turn into one, I take my headlamp with me (to see where I'm going) and a vest with an LED bar that flashes (to be seen by cars).  Also, in the same vein, if you have to cross the street, watch for cars carefully - they probably aren't expecting you.
     #3 - Do NOT worry about pace.  I've never set a PR running at night.  I think the reason for this is simple - you have to be more cautious at night since you can't see the terrain as well as you could in daylight, so don't worry if you can't run 5-minute miles at night.  (Not that I can run a 5-minute mile to begin with).
     Night running might seem daunting at first, but it's a great way to change up your training routine.  Also, you'll feel like a bad***.  (At least I do).  Seriously, give it a try and let me know how it goes.  Until next time, I've gotta run.

No comments:

Post a Comment