Monday, December 21, 2015

Product Review - Energizer Micro Sport LED Headlamp

     Hey everyone.  So as some of you may be aware, it is the holiday season.  As it is the gift-giving season, I thought I would review some of the gear that I have used from a runner's perspective to let people know how well it worked, and whether it was worth buying.  My first review is of the Energizer Micro Sport LED Headlamp.
     First of all, I feel it is important to restate the following; if you are running at night, a headlamp or reflective gear of some kind is pretty much a necessity, unless you want to get hit by an idiot in a Volvo.
     One of the biggest problems with headlamps is their price.  A top of the line, high-powered running headlamp can set you back a hundred dollars or more. When I purchased this, it costed around ten dollars.  Sadly, I can't seem to find it for that price anymore (did they stop making it).
     The Micro Sport looks and feels like a cheap piece of equipment.  The light output is 37 lumens on high mode, which isn't as powerful as other lamps.  Battery life is OK-ish, but if you're using rechargeable AAAs, shouldn't be a problem.  And, as you can probably tell from the photo, it's made of plastic.
     However, I maintain that for those people just starting to run at night, this or something like this is an excellent choice.  I have run with it in the rain, snow, and I've even dropped it once or twice, and I haven't managed to break it or damage it at all.  It's light and fairly comfortable, as the front lamp is curved on the inside to be a better fit to your head.  Also, the back blinker is bright and just a good idea.
     I can't recommend this model for night running on trails.  There is no way to adjust the angle of the headlamp, and the beam is fairly wide and low-powered to begin with, which is not useful when trying to spot obstacles.  But for those looking to get in to night running and looking for an affordable rig for running along the street, this or something like this is an excellent option.  Considering what I paid for it, I can't really complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment